Thursday, 21 August 2014

Book Review - Splintered by A. G. Howard

Series: Splintered #1
Original Publication Date: January 1st 2013
Publisher: Amulet Books
Genre(s): Fantasy, Romance, Retellings
Format: Hardcover
Source: Gifted
Pages: 371
Goodreads | Book Depository

Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers-precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother's mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Aice's tears waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice's mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

Splintered by A. G. Howard is a fantastical retelling filled with creepy and kooky beings and told in such a beautiful way that all future Alice's Adventures in Wonderland retellings now have something to aspire to.


Alyssa was a wonderful leading character, and I really enjoyed her. She felt realistic and I felt as though all of her decisions and choices were well-made.

Jeb was absolutely to-die-for - I don't know what it is about Morpheus, (I'm assuming I will find out in Unhinged? If not, all of you people are crazy), but how can you pick Morpheus over Jeb? I'm very confused about this whole debacle.


While I don't understand the attraction to Morpheus, he was still a very intriguing character. Like Alyssa and Jeb, he was very well thought-out and they all have very distinctive voices and personalities. 

To say that I adore Wonderland, both in Lewis Carroll's original tale and in A. G. Howard's retelling is an understatement. I LOVE Wonderland. It was spooky and beautiful and just asdfghjkl - so perfect and I loved every moment spent there.


The story of the Liddell family curse was very original and imaginative without seeming too far-fetched to be believable. The entire retelling concepts present in this novel were something I found immensely interesting and enjoyable.

The relationship development in this novel is something that is minimal, but enjoyable (I really need another word for "enjoyable") and satisfactory nonetheless. And, in case you didn't notice, I'm on Team Jeb until I can be further convinced otherwise. 

I really loved the pacing in this book. It wasn't too fast, everything happened in sufficient timing. And by that, I mean everything was explained and happened in a way that it wasn't confusing, but the plot and the storyline didn't feel as though it dragged on.

Howard's writing was very fun and overall, I thought it was simply beautiful. Not beautiful in the way that Ellen Hopkins' writing is, but beautiful nonetheless.

Overall, I found Splintered to be immensely enjoyable (grr, there's that word again!!!) and I can't wait to see where the story goes in Unhinged. Now...if only my book buying ban was able to come to an end today...



Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. Damn, I really am the only person who didn't enjoy this book. It's actually not that I didn't enjoy it, I still gave it 3 stars, I just wasn't as in love with it as everybody else. It was too weird for me, if that makes sense.

    I DON'T GET MORPHEUS EITHER!!!! I really don't. And, nope, people were rooting for him and loving him from Splintered. I am just so confused as to why, I didn't like him at all.

    Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definitely makes sense, Charnell, and I can understand why it didn't work for you.

      AT LEAST I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! Oh my good lord, that confused the hell out of me!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. You're stronger than me - I broke my book ban to buy Unhinged xD And I totally agree - I don't see how people can ship Alyssa and Morpheus! I'm Jeb all the way, even though I'll totally admit that I was seduced by Morpheus. But as far as a healthy(er) relationship (I still have issues with Jeb), I'd say Jeb is the best option for her. OR OR OR - how about NO relationship and instead just have Alyssa and her awesome self be the focus?? What a concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come so close to breaking my book ban these last few days! However, I'm staying strong. For now at least. YES, no relationship would work well - especially as it's not really a strong point of the book.

      Delete
  3. Yesss I really liked this first book in the series! I've borrowed Unhinged from the library, but it looks like I won't have time to read it! And ok, lemme tell you why I like Morpheus better LOL. This is just my thing, but I didn't like that Jeb was really overprotective over Alyssa. And I think that's the reason why a lot of other people don't like Jeb either. I think. BUT YEP. That's it hahah. Kudos to you for liking Jeb better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I hope you get to read Unhinged soon! Oh okay, I totally understand that! Although I do agree that Jeb is a bit overprotective, I just don't get Morpheus. Yet.

      Delete
  4. Ahh, my best friend borrowed this book and told me that I need to check it out, but I'm not so sure... Your review has definitely swayed me more toward reading it! It sounds really good, and I absolutely adore fairytale themed books. This has definitely caught my eye. Thanks for the great review :)

    Tori @ Bookish Affairs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'm not too sure I remember your tastes, but it's definitely a book I'd recommend if you enjoy books with "spooky" elements. Spooky isn't the best word to describe it, but it's the best I have right now, ahah! I hope you enjoy it if you decide to pick it up. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I truly do appreciate it. Every comment is read and replied to!