Monday, 18 August 2014

Book Review - Paper Towns by John Green

Series: N/A
Original Publication Date: October 16th 2008
Publisher: HarperCollins
Genre(s): Contemporay, Mystery, Realistic
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Pages: 358
Goodreads | Book Depository

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life-dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge-he follows.
After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues-and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl thought he knew.

I didn't have high expectations going into Paper Towns. I was under the impression that not a lot of people liked this book. Which I found weird, given the synopsis. So I was rather surprised by just how much I loved this.

While Quentin isn't the most likeable character, I didn't hate him. I did find him a tiny bit unrealistic regarding his Margo situation. I feel as though it made him a little one-dimensional.

Margo was an interesting character, and while she was a little attention-seeking,  found her to be enjoyable overall.

The secondary characters, Q's friends, Lacey, Radar and Ben were fleshed-out enough for the novel to work, but I don't think they were the strongest characters possible. I don't have any strong feelings towards any of them.

The entire concept of Paper Towns was something that I fell in love with. The mystery elements combined with the contemporary elements blended well and I enjoyed piecing together the clues alongside Quentin.

The pacing of the novel was alright, though I feel as though it was a little bit slow in some places.

As usual, John Green's writing was easy-to-read and very unique.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed Paper Towns, but I find myself not having a lot to say about it. It's my second favourite Green novel so far (The Fault in Our Stars is obviously number one.) Now, the only books from John Green that I need to read are An Abundance of Katherine's and Let it Snow.


Which is your favourite John Green novel?

Until next time,


8 comments:

  1. Awesome review Ebony! I've only read Looking for Alaska and TFIOS by John Green, and the only book I've liked a ton so far is the latter. I'm glad to see you liked Paper Towns! I've been meaning to read it but I just haven't had the time to. Though I'm not sure I'll get attached to some of the characters, or that the plot interests me, I love John Green's writing, so I'll read it anyways LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Val! Looking for Alaska wasn't a big favourit of mine either. I hope you enjoy Paper Towns when you get around to it. :)

      Delete
  2. Hm, interesting review. I felt similar to this with 'Fangirl', especially the lack of depth with characters!
    Zoe xx
    http://thebritinaus.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't a huge fan of Fangirl either!

      Delete
  3. This one has been my favourite John Green so far. TFIOS left me feeling really angry, but this was incredibly quirky and feel in love with Margo and her randomness. I don't know why this one doesn't get as much attention as his other releases, compared to Looking for Alaska, this is definitely the better of the two. I still have to read Will Grayson (started it, but just couldn't get into it) and An Abundance of Katherine's as well. Let it Snow is only one short John Green story, still worth the read although it's not his finest work.

    Lovely review Ebs <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved Paper Towns! I know a lot of people don't like it that much. I definitely agree with your comment re: Looking for Alaska!

      Thanks for stopping by, Kelly :)

      Delete
  4. I've owned this one for so long but keep putting it off for some reason. Your review has made me change my mind, I feel like this is one I definitely need to hurry up and try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I honestly hope you enjoy it, Charnell. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I truly do appreciate it. Every comment is read and replied to!