Thursday, 14 August 2014

Book Review - Masquerade by Kylie Fornasier

Series: N/A
Original Publication Date: July 23rd 2014
Publisher: Penguin Australia
Genre(s): Historical, Romance, Young Adult
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Pages: 304
Goodreads | Book Depository

It's the Carnevale of 1750 and Venice's ballrooms, theatres, palazzos and squares are filled with delicious gossip, devilish fun and dangerous games. In this glittering masked world, everyone has a secret...
Set in an age of decadence made famous by Casanova, Masquerade uncovers the secrets of seven teens, from the highest aristocrat to the lowest servant - their dreams, desires, loves, loyalties ... and betrayals.
All the world's a stage. Let the show begin.

 Masquerade was one of my most anticipated reads of 2014, and I'm so glad to say that it lived up to my expectations. It made me homesick for Italy (even though I've never been), and made me miss speaking Italian so much to the point that I had to have a little sneaky cry to myself.

I really loved Orelia! I felt as though she was very mature and knew what she wanted and how to go about getting it.

Angelique was such a fun character! She lived a glamorous life and I definitely enjoyed her perspectives even though she could sometime be a little immature. However, I think that's just part of who she is - she isn't immature to a point so ridiculous that you get sick of her.

Veronica was also interesting to read about, and I loved learning her secret.

Bastian was very handsome, and again, such an enjoyable character! I'm sorry I'm not saying a lot about each of the characters, but there's not a lot I can say without giving away their secrets.

Marco was another interesting character, and I can't believe what his plan was all along.

I felt rather sorry for Claudia, she definitely didn't have the bestest luck. I also enjoyed Anna and Emilia, but felt as though their luck wasn't the best either.

The plot was super enjoyable, and all of the different perspectives worked very well together.

I absolutely adored the setting. Venice? In the 1750's? During the months of Carnevale? Yes, please!

I loved Kylie's writing - I was able to picture everything mentioned and it was just gorgeous. Her writing was fun, and I loved the mix of Italian words that were sprinkled throughout the predominantly English novel.

I enjoyed the relationship development between Orelia and Bastian and Angelique and Filippo. I need more Angelique and Filippo!

Not only is the novel fantastic, the physical book itself is gorgeous - the end-papers and the chapter headings and the pages separating the different parts - they are all just beautiful.

Overall, I just loved this book, and if I was to rate this book today, it would receive a sold 4.75 - if you like Gossip Girl of the Secrets of the Eternal Rose trilogy, then you'll LOVE this!


Which is one of your favourite historical fiction novels?

Until next time,

8 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely adorable and just downright fun to read. I love the sound of the setting - both historically and geographically. I've never been to Italy either, but I bet getting a copy of this will transport me there. Definitely going to give this a try! Thanks for sharing Ebony, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very fun read! I hope you enjoy it when you get around to it, Zoe. :D And thank you so much for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  2. Oh yay, I'm so happy you enjoyed this book! I've had my eye on it for a really long time so it's really great to hear that it didn't disappoint. And YESS, Venice in the 1700's!! Sounds seriously awesome! You make me want to read this book even more! Especially by including that last line there about Gossip Girl. I love Gossip Girl so I'm like 100% sold on this book.

    Great review, Ebony! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Gossip Girl too! So I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did, and thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. I've seen a few mixed reviews for this one so far, but I quite like the sound of it. I'm not generally a fan of historical, but I love lavish worlds and can easily be swept up in them. Awesome review, definitely giving this one a go shortly <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the setting of this book is definitely very intriguing and I think the pace of this book may help with your problems regarding historical. I hope you enjoy it, Kelly. :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't even heard of this book before, but you have really peaked my interest. Brilliant review, I think you've given me yet another addition to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a new release in Australia and hasn't been published outside of Aus yet, so I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it - I'm glad you think you may enjoy it. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I truly do appreciate it. Every comment is read and replied to!