Saturday, 26 July 2014

Book Review - Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens

Series: N/A
Original Publication Date: February 25th 2014
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Genre(s): Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Romance
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
Pages: 336
Goodreads | Book Depository

Alexi Littrell hasn't told anyone what happened to her over the summer. Ashamed and embarrassed,  she hides in her closet and compulsively scratches the back of her neck, trying to make the outside hurt more than the inside does.
When Bodee Lennox, the quiet and awkward boy next door, comes to live with the Littrells, Alexi discovers an unlikely friend in "the Kool-Aid Kid," who has secrets of his own. As they lean on each other for support, Alexi gives him the strength to deal with his past, and Bodee helps her find the courage to finally face the truth.

Faking Normal is not what I expected at all. Going into it blindly, my expectations weren't very high, but what I found was a tale of friendship, love and pain told in a beautiful and poignant tone.

Alexi and Bodee are two teenagers that are worlds apart. (Or so they think.) Alexi, a happy and well-rounded student with a fear of intimacy. Bodee, the school loser/loner. However, after two tragic events, everything starts to change and they become all each other needs.

I loved both Alexi and Bodee. Stevens has created two very believable characters, each with their own voice and personality. It suffices to say that I think they're the perfect characters to tell the story. I don't think I would've loved the book as much as I did if it had any other protagonists.

The secondary characters in this novel (mainly Alexi's family members and friends), are very well-written and, again, I don't think this novel would have been the same without them.

The pace and the advancement of the story fit together hand in hand and all of the writing felt very smooth and very well thought out.

I really enjoyed the relationship development between Alexi and Bodee. It wasn't insta-love and it felt very realistic given the circumstances. I will ship them forever.

Stevens' writing is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, and I can't wait to read more from Courtney in the future.

Overall, Courtney C. Stevens' debut novel is a book so beautiful that it makes me wish I re-did my ratings (which I don't do unless it's after a re-read), however, today I would give this book 5 stars and tell you to GO AND READ THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW! I'm definitely going to have to treat myself to a copy all of my own in the future.


If you've read Faking Normal, what did you think of it? If you haven't read Faking Normal, why? What is wrong with you?! Go and read it now and then report back.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. I've heard many promising things for this novel so I am definitely going to be picking this one sometime soon during my hiatus. Glad that Alexi is a genuine character.

    Lovely review, Ebony! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad to hear you say that, Melanie! I truly hope you enjoy it.

      Thank you so much! <3

      Delete
  2. LOL! I don't know what's wrong with me, lol. I do have it in digital copy though and WILL read (coz in a 2014 published books marathon) but not right now. Maybe in one or two weeks. Ok, back to the book, I do like the fact that there is no insta-love and that there is good friendship and well-developped secondary characters! Also, that cover; so original! Even the model is not the kind we usually see on book covers. Anyhow, your review is beautiful, Ebony, and I'm so glad you enjoyed reading this book so much. :)

    Lola @ Hit or Miss Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I truly do hope you enjoy it, Lola. :) I love the cover too! Thank you so much for stopping by, Lola.

      Delete
  3. Well, I'll definitely have to get a copy now. I've actually seen a few mixed reviews for this one, but all completely agree with you that the style of writing is beautiful. Soooo not a fan of instant love, so the slow burning romance sounds perfect. Incredible review Ebs, going to check this one out in the Kindle store <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I FEEL AS THOUGH I HAVE CONVERTED YOU. I actually haven't seen a lot, but I can understand why this book may not be someone's cup of tea - also, I feel as though this is one of those books where you have to be in the right mood for it - although I do feel that way about all books...thanks for stopping by, Kelly. <3

      Delete
  4. This book <3 Now I'm remembering all the amazing parts from the story and I totally need a reread. Like you, I rated it lower right after I finished it, but as time goes on I fall in love with it more and more. It's so touching and powerful - I can't believe it was a debut! Stevens is probably an auto-buy author for me now, and I can't wait for her next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad there's someone who feels the same way - <3 I think she'll be an auto-buy for me too, though I never decide that until I've read a second book and loved it...can't wait to see what she comes up with next though!

      Delete
  5. So happy to hear you enjoyed this one so much. I have had it for so long now but still haven't got to it, I'm not sure what put me off. After reading your review I will definitely be making an effort to get to it as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I'm so excited! I hope you love it. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I truly do appreciate it. Every comment is read and replied to!