Thursday, 31 July 2014

Book Review - Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Series: N/A
Original Publication Date: February 21st 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Genre(s): Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Romance
Format: Hardcover
Source: Gifted
Pages: 368
Goodreads | Book Depository

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship - the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. How do I even start? Whenever I even think about this book, I still find myself not being able to even. I honestly don't know how well or how helpful this review will be.

Aristotle and Dante are prefect. I found both of their personalities very enjoyable. They are both first-generation American Mexicans, but have been brought up in very different lifestyles, both of which are rather interesting. I don't even know what to say without turning this into a big incomprehensible mess, so I'm just going to move onto the next topic now, forgive me.

I enjoyed the fact that there were parents actually present in this novel. Both Ari's and Dante's parents were interesting to read about without taking over the novel or adding nothing at all.

I loved the development of Ari and Dante's relationship, and I don't even know what to say without turning into a blubbering mess because this book and story is just so beautiful...so really, this review is rather pointless, but I need to talk about this book, so if you've read it, please fangirl with me down below.

The pacing was something I liked a lot. It wasn't too fast and wasn't too slow and I honestly thought it was perfect.

The writing was beautiful and easy-to-read and I already want to re-read this book - it has become one of my all-time favourites.

Overall, Aristotle and Dante is a gorgeous tale of love, friendship and identity, and please, please, please, if you haven't read this book already, go and read it now.


If you've read Aristotle and Dante already, HOW AMAZING IS IT? If you haven't, I beg you to add it to your TBR and read it sooner rather than later.

Until next time,

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED THIS BOOK. Honestly after I finished it, I was speechless because everything was so beautiful, and I couldn't even say anything about it because I didn't want to spoil anything. But yes. Parents were gold, Ari and Dante were amazing, AND LEGS. LEGS IS AWESOME. I want a dog named Legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad, so glad, Val!!! I felt the same way! Oh, Legs! I had momentarily forgotten about him when writing this review, but he was awesome.

      Delete
  2. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I truly do appreciate it. Every comment is read and replied to!